Friday, September 9, 2011

Small Fri-Day

Small, compact, pint-sized, pocket-rocket, tiny, wee; call me what you want, but good things come in small packages. I am a proud 4' 11'', but most people know me as about 5' 3'' since I refuse to wear flats, unless I am working out. So, I think it's about time that us shorties were given a day to talk about fashion and how it fits us, welcome Small Fri-Day.

Everything must be hemmed, taken in, taken out, adjusted here and there to really look right. I dream of a day when there are actually really great pieces for petites (something I constantly work on in my mind). Fortunately, there are more and more stores/designers offering petite sizing. For many, many years I have searched for a petite black work pant that was young and flattering, that didn't need to be altered to death and didn't rise up past my belly button (you know what I am talking about). I am still searching. In the meantime, I have found some pretty good alternatives. All of the styles below are available in petite or short length. Enjoy!

Pants for Petites

Express Editor, $70
J crew 1035, $135
Victoria's Secret Kate pant, $70
Talbots Heritage Fit pant, $99


A note on fit: be watchful of wide leg pants (not bell bottoms, which are nice and snug around the thighs), it can give a small stature a very stocky silhouette. See examples below. Also, if you are longing to wear a cropped pant, ankle length is best, once you get above the ankle the body gets chopped up and looks even shorter.
pant types
Have a question about what to wear? Feel free to leave it in the comments or send me an email. Always happy to help. 

No comments: