Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Is bigger better?

As I clicked through Paris fashion week photos (more shows throughout the week) there were two trends forming, Big and Baggy (and I am not talking about harem pants).

Are we compensating for our depleting portfolios with large amounts of fabric? Could be, but why not just hide under the down quilt on your bed?

Do we need to look like we dug through the garbage of Andre the Giant (may he rest in peace) to get dressed? No.

Now don't get me wrong, I like my "big" pants like every other girl, they are a necessary comfort, but they are far from fashion and far from what I would wear on the street (short of craving a pint of ice cream at midnight and sneaking out, hopefully, unnoticed in my big pants, but I digress)

Some samples are below. I know it's runway, I know it's designer, I know it looks different when merchandised with other items but what we see on the runway is what we eventually see replicated in stores, just dialed down and less expensive.

I just don't know about big and baggy, it looks big and kind of silly, like wearing dress up clothes from my mom's closet, but then again maybe that is what people are looking for, an escape to a much more fun and imaginative past, hmm. What do you think?



Victor & Rolf, Stella McCartney



Sonia Rykiel, Givenchy



Giambatista Valli, Vivienne Westwood



Dries Van Noten, Christian Lacroix



Christian Dior, Commes de Garcons

No comments: